The year was 1922. Warren G. Harding was President of the United States and ads appeared such as "The motor car is the new transit power of the country…From comparative toy or novelty it has become a necessity.” Veterans could still be heard reminiscing about the War Between the States; a gallon of gas cost less than 25¢, a loaf of bread 10¢, and a gallon of milk 60¢.
Homer D. Thacker was nineteen years old and working at Beal Furniture Company in Scottsville. Since there was no funeral home in town, the furniture business also sold caskets and began “undertaking” the task of burying those who had died. A few years later when Homer’s younger brother, A. Raymon Thacker, began assisting his brother with these affairs, members of the community began encouraging them to establish a funeral home.
As the community grew and people began to desire more formal types of funeral services, the brothers convinced Mr. Beal to convert an old service station on Main St. into a facility to be used as a funeral home, modest though it was. Thacker Brothers Funeral Home was established in 1931 and Homer and Raymon served the community in this role until their retirement in 1988. At that time, W. Latham and Linda Jones purchased the funeral home. Natives of North Carolina and Chesapeake, Virginia, the Jones carried on the traditions of the funeral home until their retirement in January of 2009.
The current generation of owners, Bradley and Yvonne Howdyshell are both from Staunton, Virginia. They are continuing the long tradition of a family serving the needs of the residents of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna and Nelson Counties.